Saturday, July 13, 2013

Howdy!


This little guy stopped by my front porch one day to say "Howdy!" It's a Carolina Anole. He was curious about me and would move his head back and forth while I spoke and seemed to enjoy posing for the picture. He delighted me with his antics as he scampered about peeking from here and there.

In researching the Carolina Anole, I was amazed to find they are related to the Iguana. Who would have thought that here in North Carolina we have a reptile related to an Iguana?

Here's some other critters I've found around my property.


Look at those eyes and the length of the legs and antenna. What a creature!


I believe it's a cricket or, in the cricket family. I tried to identify him with no success but the images I looked at of other crickets were similar in appearance and characteristics. If you know what he/she is, please let me know.


This is a lovely Red Spotted Purple butterfly enjoying the pollen on my rose bushes.


Here's some nice closeups of the proboscis.


Here's another butterfly, an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, enjoying the pollen on my lilies.




I wrote a previous post about Creatures around my home.

It's amazing the amount of biodiversity I find on my small piece of property.

No matter where I go, whether far afield or right in my yard, nature never fails to disappoint. I always am presented with something new and wondrous. And lately I've been exploring my little piece of property more and more to find out who, too, lives here. It's been quite a discovery.

Walk out your door, take a look around and see what you find. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment