Sunday, November 18, 2012

A lily that sky gazes

This gorgeous lily with its beautiful white, pink and yellow colors and an intoxicating scent, faces upward towards heaven. Hybridized in 1976, it was the first lily to bloom up as flowers in this lily group tend to hang downwards. Now, there are more lilies on the market that bloom facing up but Stargazer Lily was the first and, so, it was named.

Now, on this chill, grey November day, as I look at this image of one of the lilies that bloomed in my garden during the heat of July, I can't help but think of peppermint candy canes and the festive upcoming holiday season. It would truly be a wonder to see this lily bloom in the cold of winter while I watched it through a frosty pane from the warmth of my home as it gazes upward at the crisp winter stars. It would cap the holiday season.

Come next summer, when my Stargazer lilies bloom again, will I think of candy canes and a cold winter's night? I don't know, but surely it will warm me with delight.

You, too, can be delighted. It is easy to grow. If you decide to plant the bulbs, be prepared, as they are showstoppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment